"Knowledge is Power!"
The phrase “Knowledge is Power” is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson. However, it can be traced back to 16th century English philosopher and statesman Francis Bacon. For many, continuing our education through attending courses, personal reading, or online training helps us sharpen our skills, learn something new, or perhaps even take a different direction with our career.
At Topline Financial Advisors, we are committed to always learning, whether it be staying up with the latest regulations and industry trends or attending conferences and events designed to further advance our knowledge base to provide you with the best financial service and experience possible.
As financial advisors, we have a legislated annual continuing education requirement. Our team members attend events throughout the year in order to both meet that obligation and to further our knowledge. Some of these events include:
- Due Diligence Events – full day events held by investment firms and insurance providers reviewing industry best practices, upcoming legislation changes and economic/market information
- Fund Manager meetings – Meeting with fund managers outlining their views on markets and their respective investment processes. Held both locally and at the Managers offices (i.e. Boston/Toronto) allowing us to see how they manage their investment team
- Investment Forums – Conferences held over multiple days with multiple fund companies and managers. These events allow us to meet with advisor peers as well as investment firms to discuss best practices and the current investment marketplace
- Financial Planning Conference/Workshops/Webinars – Focus on financial planning software and solutions. Advances our knowledge in the areas of financial/retirement and estate planning
- Financial Services Study Groups – we periodically meet with a group of 10-12 peers for two days of meetings to discuss what is happening in our respective offices and best practices to bring value to our clients
In addition, members of the team continue to work towards industry designations such as PFA and CFP. Hopefully this blog helps give you a better understanding of some of the educational events we attend throughout the calendar year. We would welcome discussing more details of how these events help us provide leading edge advice and service to you!